Journal Club Presentations
of image models and their use in modelling neural response
properties. Models like ICA, Sparse Coding, Gaussian Scale Mixture
models, Independent Sub-space Analysis and more are covered. (Scanned in from my note book.)
- The marginal polytope. A new view of algorithms like variational free-energy optimisation and loopy belief propagation using the language of convex optimisation. (Scanned in from my note book.)
- An introduction to loopy belief propagation and its variants.
- A Theory of cortical responses, Karl Friston, 2005.
- Machine Audition Algorithms slides and figs.
- An introduction to energy models, including the energy interpretation of ICA, topographic extensions and contrastive divergence Notes.
- Structural variational approximations: Tutorial on how to choose and combine variational approximations, Notes and Figures.
- Motion processing in MT: Adaptation changes the direction tuning of macaque MT neurons, Nature Neuro. 2004. Preliminary figure here .
- Amplitude modulation processing in the auditory system:``Neural Processing of Amplitude-Modulated Sounds: Joris, Schreiner and Rees, Physiol. Rev. 2004
- From Sparse Coding to Gaussian Scale Mixture Models``Is early vision optimised for extracting higher order dependencies?'', Karklin and Lewicki, NIPS, 2005
- Adaptation of neurons to changes in the stimulus distribution``Short-term Adaptation of Auditory Receptive Fields to Dynamic Stimuli'', Mark Kvale and Christoph Schreiner, J. Neurophysiol 604-612 2004
- Interneurons in the hippocampus: Interneurons of the hippocampus, Freund and Buzsaki, Hippocampus, 1996
- Gaussian Scale Mixture Models: Scale Mixtures of Gaussians and the Statistics of Natural Images. Martin Wainwright and Eero Simoncelli. NIPS, 2000
- Divisive normalisation: Natural signal statistics and sensory gain control, Odelia Schwartz and Eero Simoncelli. Nature Neuroscience, Aug. 2001
- Neurotronics: Active propagation of somatic action potentials into neocortical pyramidal cell dendrites. Greg Stuart and Bert Sakmann, Nature vol. 367, 1994
- Neurotronics: A new cellular mechanism for coupling inputs arriving at different cortical layers, Larkum, Zhu and Sakmann. Nature vol 398, 1999
- Efficient coding of sounds: Efficient Coding of Natural Sounds, Lewicki, Nature Neuroscience, 2002
- Sound localisation: Sound localisation and delay lines: do mammals fit the model? McAlpine and Grothe, Trends in Neuroscience.
Return to main page